Happy National Ice Cream Day!! This very sweet holiday is dedicated to only the best dessert for a hot summer day. This holiday was made by President Ronald Reagan in 1984 and he dedicated the whole month of July to ice cream, making it National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday of July National Ice Cream Day. Ice Cream is a great treat and now there are even more flavors. The regular ice cream that comes in a carton is good, but the new thing is soft serve ice cream. Soft Serve is a special ice cream that can not last in fridge, but is perfect when served right.
The New York TImes did an article in the beginning of the year about trends for 2013 and the article included soft serve. Not just any soft serve, but special soft serve such as Pink Lemonade and Cherry Donut flavored soft serve from Momofuku Milk Bar, or crazy new toppings at Zero Zero in San Francisco which includes olive oil and sea salt. Ice Cream is very popular and now is the time to try out the new flavors. Ice Cream has been taken to another level from the company Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream which has dozens of flavors that are extraordinary. Here is a recipe from their book Ben and Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book and enjoy this kool holiday!
Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Heavy or Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Whisk the eggs together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
- Add the juice concentrate and the vanilla extract and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions. Make one quart.
July 21st, 2013 in Recipes, Stuff
food, holiday, ice cream
No Comments »